When your dog is suffering from cancer, watching them fight can become overwhelming. And, it’s equally as frustrating since we can’t help as much as we would like to. Thankfully, there continues to be more and more research released regarding alternative treatments. One potential alternative treatment you may want to investigate is CBD oil. Fortunately, one of the companies I work with offers excellent, high-quality CBD Oil (it’s important to note here– I do not receive any type of compensation for referrals– I just absolutely love their product).
Before we go on further into this article, it’s important to note that CBD oil for dogs isn’t the cure for cancer in dogs. We wish CBD oil could be the cure, but unfortunately that’s not the case. But, that doesn’t mean it can’t still help your dog in a few ways. We’ll talk about them here.
And, a little disclaimer here, if your dog has cancer make sure you discuss this option with your veterinarian before implementing this into your dog’s routine. If your family veterinarian is unsure about alternative treatments, you can request a visit with a veterinarian who specializes in alternative medicine.
What Exactly is… The “C” word?
The basic definition of cancer is abnormal growth of cells in the body. The abnormal cells in the body grow uncontrollably (we’ll talk more about this in a few moments) and begin destroying the body’s ability to function properly.
Cancer is extremely common in dogs, approximately one of two dogs will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. The types of cancer dogs are diagnosed with includes:
- Skin Cancer: Skin cancer is common in dogs, but it is usually benign.
- Mammary Cancer: Female dogs are prone to breast cancer. Breeds most susceptible to mammary cancer include Poodles, Dachshunds, and Spaniels.
- Head and Neck Cancers: Dogs are prone to developing mouth cancer. This type of cancer must be treated immediately and aggressively. Dog breeds most susceptible to developing this type of cancer include Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters, German Shepherds, and Scottish Terriers.
- Lymphoma: Lymphoma is cancer of the lymph nodes. Dog owners usually catch this cancer once an enlarged lymph node is apparent. Lymphoma can be an aggressive cancer and should be treated immediately following diagnosis. Breeds prone to Lymphoma include Dachshund, Pomeranian, Chihuahua, and Brittany Spaniel.
- Testicular Cancer: Testicular cancer is common in dogs, particularly dogs who have retained testicles.
- Bone Cancer: Bone cancer is common in large-breed and senior dogs. The most common area bone cancer occurs is in the leg bones. You may notice unusual swelling, lameness, or pain in dogs who have bone cancer. Certain breeds are more susceptible to bone cancer than others (Great Dane, Saint Bernard, Golden Retriever, Doberman Pinscher, Irish Setter).
- Brain Cancer: Brain tumors develop in the tissue of the brain. They’re generally slow-growing and not found until symptoms begin. Fortunately, this type of cancer is rare in dogs. There are certain breeds at an increased risk including Doberman Pincher, Scottish Terrier, Olde English Sheepdog, and Golden Retriever.
There are other cancers dogs may develop… and even if your dog doesn’t have cancer I can’t recommend Dr. Dressler & Dr. Ettinger’s book enough. You can find it here. I have multiple copies… hopefully I will never need them. But, with the rates of cancer being so high, i’d rather be prepared.
How Can CBD Oil Help?
CBD oil helps to manage inflammation, decrease pain, manage seizures, and stimulate the appetite. Each of these benefits may sound relatively small when it comes to the full picture. But, each of these can result in your dog feeling much better. The anti-inflammatory and anti-pain effects from the CBD oil may help your dog feel more comfortable. Maintaining a healthy appetite is critical to your dog’s strength.
CBD has also been shown to stop cancer cells from growing and increasing the death rate of tumor cells. CBD kills cells by helping the immune system and blocks their ability to produce energy.
Cancer cells are different than your dog’s normal body cells because they don’t die on their own. Normal cells that are old or damaged have a “control system” that causes their death. This process of cell suicide is known as apoptosis. Cancer cells do not have the ability to induce apoptosis. The damaged/mutated cells just continue to grow and grow… which forms tumors. CBD has been shown to ‘turn on’ apoptosis and stop the growth of tumors.
CBD oil can also help increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatments (chemotherapy, radiation). Researchers have found combining chemotherapy with cannabinoids had better results than using chemo alone. Researchers believe combining chemo and CBD can also reduce those terrible side effects, like nausea, from the chemotherapy treatments.
Testimonials Mean the World
Testimonials mean the world to us as dog lovers. We want to check out what others are saying about the product, right? Of course. That’s why we have compiled a few of CannaCanine’s CBD oil testimonials below:
“I have been using your CBD oil with Judah, my 13 year old Springer Spaniel, as a part of his natural treatment program for a skin cancer on his ear. This treatment includes prayer, faith, CBD oil, a healthy raw diet, and a couple other essential oils and cream. Since hearing of CBD oil, we have tried a couple different brands and have found yours to be of great quality. I have found that CBD oil applied topically has greatly helped with minimizing and controlling the affected area, while giving him a dropper by mouth each day has helped him to be at ease. Some of his lumps have even shrunk drastically! Thank the Lord!! Judah is such a good boy and deserves the best treatment. This is why I use CannaCanine! And it is awesome to hear that it is affective for anxiety too because I can recommend it to my training clients as another way in helping their dogs relax.” -Judah, Skin Cancer
“Rudy has bone cancer which puts a lot of strain on his system. It is painful and very exhausting as it drains his energy. However CBD oil has helped him increase his energy level and take away the inflammation in his leg. It also helps to relieve the pain caused by the cancer. CBD has made a huge improvement in the quality of his life! Rudy can now enjoy his days better in peace and comfort through CBD.” -Rudy, Bone Cancer
The Bottom Line on CBD and Cancer
There’s some promising research regarding CBD and cancer in dogs and humans. Researchers are continuing to study the benefits of CBD oil, and more research is expected to be released in the future. In the meantime, there are benefits researchers have found to help your dog already (reduced inflammation, etc.).
Don’t forget to talk to your veterinarian prior to implementing CBD into your dog’s routine. Once your veterinarian gives you the ‘go-ahead,’ visit CannaCanine’s store here and use code ‘YEAR’ for 30% off!
One thought on “How CBD Oil May Help Dogs with Cancer”