Choosing a name for your dark brown or black dog can be a tricky decision. Fortunately, we’ve compiled a list of dog names for dark brown dogs, and black dogs, to help you narrow down the options. This list includes some of our favorites and should give you plenty of ideas!
male name ideas
If you have recently adopted a female dog, consider one of the following names:
- Aaliyah: This name comes from Arabic origins, meaning “highest point.” This is an excellent choice if you want something that isn’t too common, but still has a traditional sound. Aaliyah may also be spelled Aliyah or Alyah.
- Ace: A good name for a confident, strong dog.
- Addison: A name with an old-fashioned feel that fits well with dark-haired dogs.
- Agatha: This Greek name means “good girl” and would fit well with any sweet-tempered dog.
- Alani: This name comes from Hawaiian origin and means “heavenly flower.” It’s a delightful choice for any breed of dog! It can be spelled Alany, Alayne or Alainna as well – all of which are just as lovely sounding
- Athena: Athena was another Greek goddess who was born from Zeus’ forehead fully grown and armed for battle
- Atlas: This is a great name for a large black dog with a big personality.
- Bella: Bella means beautiful in Italian. It is also a short form of Isabella which means “pledge of God” or “God’s promise” in Latin.
- Midnight: Midnight is a beautiful word, so it makes sense that it would be used as a dog name! Midnight is also one of the few black dog names that work well as both male and female names.
female dog name ideas
Your male dog deserves a strong name. Check out one of the following:
- Adonis: A name that means “universally admired man,” this is a great choice if you want to give your pet a sense of power and confidence.
- Albus: The Latin word for white also works well as a name for dark-haired dogs! It means “white” or “bright white color” and would make an excellent choice if your pet has lighter eyes or markings on his fur that make him look white in certain lights
- Aldo: Italian form of Old German Adalhard, meaning “old hardy.”
- Apollo: Apollo was the ancient Greek god of the sun and light. He was also the god of music and poetry, as well as healing arts, prophecy and archery!
- Baron: This name has a regal feel to it and is perfect for your black puppy!
- Baxter: Baxter is a strong name for any black dog. The name means “brave” in Old English.
- Bear: If you have a big strong dog who loves to cuddle up with you on the couch at night, this might be the perfect name for him!
- Blackjack: A card game where you try to get as close to 21 without going over; this name may be perfect for your friendly pup who often beats you at games!
- Blade: A cool name for a black dog that is a bit of a bad boy! It’s also easy to remember and say which makes it perfect for people who don’t have much time for training sessions!
- Blaze: A blaze of fire is something to be admired, and so will be your little puppy when he grows up!
- Bruno: This may not be the most obvious choice when considering black dog names, but we think it works really well because this name means brown in French which has nothing to do with color at all! It just happens to sound good with ‘Bruno’!
- Bumper: This one is just so cute! It’s kind of like saying ‘puppy bumpers’, which is sure to make your pup smile every time he hears his name called out by you or someone else!
- Buster: If you’re looking for a name that reflects strength and power, then Buster might be your best bet. It’s a good choice for any type of dog with an intimidating appearance or personality — especially if you’re looking for something original and unusual!
- Gideon: This Hebrew name means “destroyer” or “mighty warrior.” It’s also one of the most popular names for black dogs today!
- Hades: The Greek god of the underworld was known as Hades by mortals; it’s also the Roman version of Plouton (Pluto), who shares many similarities with Hades but is more closely associated with wealth than death and darkness
- Harley: If your dog is big and burly, then Harley is a good choice
Unusual Black Dog Names
If you’re looking for a unique name for your one-of-a-kind dog, look no further!
- Alaska: If you want to give your dog a name that’s fun and unique, Alaska is a great choice! It also pays tribute to the state where dogs are allowed off-leash year-round (in certain areas).
- Aloysius: Latinized form of Gaelic Alis, meaning “defender.”
- Amadeus: Latinized form of Hebrew Ahim’elech, meaning “brother of princes.” In the bible, this is the name of the father of King Saul.
- Ambrose: Latin form of Greek Ambrosios, meaning “immortal.” This was the name of several saints and three popes.
- Amethyst: This stone is dark purple in color and has been used as a gemstone since ancient times. It was also thought to have healing powers and was used to ward off evil spirits. Amethyst is a great choice for an elegant girl or boy who likes to stand out from the crowd.
- Amira: This African name means “princess” in Arabic and Hebrew languages. It’s another great choice for anyone who wants something that is both traditional sounding and at the same time unique!
- Aqua: Aqua means “water” in Latin, so it makes sense that this word would be used as a name for a black dog! This could work well on its own or as part of another name like Aquamarine or Aquarius (both of which mean “water bearer”).
- Chocolate: Chocolate isn’t just a delicious treat; it’s also the name of one of our favorite shades of brown! If you love all things chocolate (and who doesn’t?), then this is the perfect choice for your pup!
- Chocolate Chip: If your pup looks like he could use some chocolate chip cookies, why not give him a name that matches? Chocolate Chip is an adorable name for any dark chocolate-colored pup. It’s also great for black dogs with lighter brown markings on their fur!
- Coffee: Coffee is one of those names that sticks around no matter which color your pup happens to be — it works for both black and brown dogs alike!
- Darth Vader (yes, it’s a Star Wars reference!)
- Pluto: A name for a mischievous black dog who loves playing with his toys more than anything else in the world!
- Raven: A large-sized bird with all black feathers and a long neck, the raven is known for its intelligence and its ability to mimic noises around it.
- Shadow: Shadow is a great name if you have an energetic puppy who likes to race around the house like crazy chasing after things — like shadows!
Choosing the Best Name
Choosing the best name for your dog is an important decision. Your dog’s name will be used every day, and it will have an impact on how people think of and interact with him.
It’s also a lot harder than it sounds. There are so many factors to consider when choosing a name, including the breed of your dog, his personality and the size of your family.