Unexpected Christmas Dangers for Dogs

There holidays are fun, and we love to include our dogs in our Christmas festivities! But, there could be some unexpected dangers we don’t usually think about… the main danger… batteries!


With all of those Christmas presents, some of them probably require batteries. Batteries are sometimes left on the floor. Or taken out of our children’s toys. Or awaiting placement inside a toy. But, this makes them easier for our dogs to get ahold of.

If your dog eats a battery, you’re likely going to be looking at surgery during the holidays. On top of being a foreign object in your dog’s body, there is a moderate to severe level of toxicity associated with batteries.

Then… there’s another scenario. What if your dog chews them up? The battery acid could result in chemical burns in your dog’s esophagus.

If you do have any type of poison emergency, you should call your veterinarian and/or the ASPCA hotline at 855-764-7661.

Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs

We all know there’s plenty of chocolate around at Christmas time. And although it affects all dogs differently, we don’t want to take the chance that our dog will be the one it affects.

There’s a chemical called theobromine in chocolate. It’s toxic to dogs. And, can cause complications even from consuming the smallest amount.

The darker the chocolate, the higher the theobromine content.

Xylitol in Many Sweets

Chocolate isn’t the only candy that presents a danger. Other sweets may contain a common sweetener known as Xylitol. It’s not harmful to us, but can be extremely toxic to our dogs.

Sweets, chewing gums, mouthwashes and toothpaste all contain Xylitol.

Xylitol stimulates the release of excess insulin from the pancreas resulting in low blood sugar, and even liver damage.

Signs of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, lethargic behavior or coma. The signs might not be immediately noticeable.

Extra Tips

  • If you have a natural Christmas tree, don’t let your dog drink the water in the stand. The pine sap in the water can be dangerous if ingested.
  • The tinsel can also be dangerous. If your dog ingests tinsel, there are all kinds of complications that could occur.
  • Don’t leave candles lying around. The candles could easily be knocked over when your dog is playing… or even just walking by.
  • Keep your dogs away from the poinsettias as they can cause upset stomach and vomiting if ingested.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s