One of the common questions received by a professional in the dog world is–
“I am adopting a puppy soon, what do I need before I bring my new puppy home?”
This article will provide you with a checklist of the items you should grab before bringing your new puppy home.
- Water bowl
- Food bowl
- Collar: You may want an adjustable collar so you don’t have to purchase collars every time your new puppy grows.
- Puppy Food (Note: Do not feed your puppy adult dog food. Puppy food and adult dog food are completely different. Your puppy will need puppy food to grow into a healthy, happy adult dog)
- Dog tags: These are excellent to purchase before you bring your new puppy home. Puppies sometimes get lost ‘exploring’ and if this accident happens, your puppy is more likely to be returned to you safely.
- Low-calorie, healthy puppy treats
- Chew toys (you will want these!)
- Gates (to block your new puppy off of ‘no-no’ areas)
- Doggy bed
You may also want to consider a pet sitter if you will be working long hours through the day. Puppies need to go out often and you may come home to a puppy who has had a lot of accidents and a lot of energy.